The Royal Arcade is a wonderful shopping arcade in the heart of London's Mayfair.
Built in 1879, this arcade is smaller than the nearby Burlington Arcade and provides a connecting walkway between 28 Old Bond Street with 12 Albemarle Street.
This elegant, Victorian space houses retail outlets selling fine silverware, art, bespoke shoes and high-end chocolate.
As can be seen from the original signage above, the arcade was originally titled "The Arcade", but after the shirtmaker H.W. Brettell was patronised by Queen Victoria, the arcade was renamed as the "Royal Arcade".
William Hodgson Brettell opened his Shirtmakers in the Arcade in 1880 (aged 24) and occupied number 12, which is now (at the time of writing) in use by Ormonde Jayne.